Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Egg Thievery

So here is an Easter egg story. This morning I spent 3 hours dying, painting and colouring 24 hard boiled Easter eggs. I had pink eggs, green eggs, blue eggs and yellow eggs. There were easter bunnies on eggs, flowers on eggs, humpty dumpty eggs and even tie dye retro eggs. They were fun, they were colourful and they were the perfect size for children to find. At least so we thought.

We waited until 4.00 pm to go out into the forest to hide the eggs since the children were arriving at 5.00 pm for the hunt. In hand we had the 24 finely crafted hard boiled eggs as well as six Kinder Surprise eggs. They looked great in the forest. Bonnie and I hid eggs under tree roots, in tree branches, and in the moss. I made special nests for the Kinder Surprise eggs, one for each child to find. I was so pleased with our preparations, I was dissapointed I didn't have a camera to capture the moment. But, I figured, I could get a picture of the eggs, the forest and happy kids once they had found the eggs! We were excited for that moment to arrive - unfortunately, it never did.

At 5.15 pm I was duly informed that no eggs could be found. I was in disbelief. I didn't think I had hidden the eggs too difficultly, though it was a possibility since I have been well trained in the art of Easter egg hiding and hunting. (When I was 10 years old I wond third prize in an Easter Egg hunt at Mont Tremblant ski resort. I was a competitive child.) However since the hockey game was on, Bonnie was kind enough to go out to help the children at least find the eggs she had hidden. No luck. All that could be found were the Kinder Surprise nests sans eggs. So I got dressed up to confirm the reports and show these kids where their search had go arye.

But....NO EGGS WERE FOUND! All my hiding places had been robbed without one single sign of a broken egg shell or any other kind of evidence. It certainly appeared that someone had stolen all the eggs and with it all of my Easter cheer.

The locals have tried to convince me that an animal must have collected the eggs in our absence, however I cannot imagine a busy body squirrel, raccoon or raven going around the forest assembling 30 full-sized, full-weight eggs to store in a hidden stash. I am in disbelief. I am more likely to believe that someone came along, found the stash and decided to help themselves.

But, what can you do? At least the children had a great time looking for the eggs that they would never find.

On top of it all, the Canucks lost their third game in a row tonight.

Happy Easter I guess....

No comments:

Post a Comment